As much as I don't want to admit it, we only have 6 more years until our baby girl will go off to college. Ugh...that makes me want to cry just thinking about it! I can tell now that she has hit the "preteen years" that she will do just that....sprout her wings and go off into this world and do something fabulous. Oh, the confidence and determination that child has. In transitioning into the teenage years, she wanted a "older" room. We finished out a room upstairs as well as the bathroom as we had planned when we built our home 3 years ago. This was a project that could not have been done without the help from a few "KEY" people! One of those "KEYS" would have been my sweet Daddy. He completely trimmed the entire bedroom and bathroom. That was a fun day, just me and my Daddy. It reminded me of when I was little and would spend the day in the basement with him while he "tinkered" on anything and everything. I don't think he ever realized how much I loved Saturday's because of that very reason. I guess I was kind of like the boy he never had...but I was a girl! Anyway, he taught me (unknowingly) how to do or fix just about anything! Just ask those who know me well! Where there is a will, there is a way! That's my motto! Back to the room, we hired out most of the other work...carpet, plumbing, marble. I did the basic painting and then my fabulous friend Connie did the accent wall. Check out her blog when you have a chance. http://www.laughterbylakeside.blogspot.com/ She has been given a great talent-designing, decorating, painting, and yes she can sew as well! Once the room was completed we began the decorating process. We purchased furniture from Haverty's. This furniture will carry her through to her adult years. We plan on letting her have it when she moves into her first home. I was not offended when she asked if we could "buy" her bedding instead of me making it! This comes from a child who has had custom bedding for every phase of her life so far. I understood completely! She picked out a bright and eclectic bedding set from http://www.anthropologie.com/ . It totally fits with her personality. The window treatments in the bedroom were purchased from Pottery Barn. http://www.potterybarn.com/ The shelving was purchased at Lowes Home Improvement but has the look of a page out of Pottery Barn's catalog and much more reasonable as far as cost goes. The writing desk came from Target and the chair from Pier 1 Imports. The desk lamp shade was customized by using napkins sewn together that were purchased at Anthropologie. Every preteen needs a display board to tack pictures, notes, accomplishments, reminders, etc. on to. I picked up an open frame at Hobby Lobby and covered foam board/cork with napkins that were sewn together as well from Anthropologie.
This was a fun project! Maggie enjoyed being a part of the "design" process. I think she did a great job! 
2 comments:
I love this room!!!! It is beautiful! :) So glad you posted the pics!!!! Love you... Shan
That is AWESOME!
Post a Comment